01 November, 2017

NaNoWriMo


NaNoWriMo: National Novel Writing Month, held during the month of November. The goal is to write a 50.000 word count novel in a single month, challenge yourself, and possibly – make that breaking step towards your dreams. Or just a chance to release all that creativity so many of us carry around daily. As Victoria Schwab, one of my all-time most favorite authors, said many times: “writing happens everywhere, for writing happens in your head. The rest is just transcribing.

On November 1st participants begin writing. Everyone can track their progress via official page [nanowrimo.org], and while that’s not mandatory, they do provide great perks to help you going, and keep that fire burning. Plus, you can actually officially win once you upload your whole text for word count confirmation. Here’s some inspiration for you (and me). These here books are the products of NaNoWriMo determination and victory: [24 Books that won NaNoWriMo]. Pretty neat, huh? I’ve read quite a few of them, and many more were on my to-read list for a long while now, so I dare say, good things get done once you actually get to doing them. And what’s better than some light pressure you cast on yourself?

Now, I know that 50.000 sounds scary, especially if you have a full time job, or, like me, work with three companies at once. But here’s the thing: what’s there to lose? You’ve everything to gain from attempting, even if you don’t make it to the end. After all, the difference between “One Day” and “Day One” is very tiny, so why not? Why not make November 1st your Day One, and see where that brings you?

I decided to challenge myself, because there’ll hardly ever be time when I can safely say “oh, I’ll have plenty of time to write a novel this month”, and I believe that’s the case in many lives. So that’s my reason to do it. What’s yours? And what’s your true and honest reason if you decide not to participate, assuming you wanted to?

0 comments:

Post a Comment