07 June, 2015

REVIEW: CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Heavenly Fire
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #6
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Romance
Publisher: Walker Books Ltd
Source: Physical copy
Pages: 720

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.

Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!


LAURA's REVIEW

So first, this post we do together since we basically finished it at the same time so we have all fresh memory but we'll try to keep it short, just basic points, and for more details you can visit our Goodreads. NOW the final book of TMI series! I would say 6 books are a lot and honestly not all of them were as good but this one is worth it.


After a loooooong year without picking it up I finally did it and guess what? I'm happy with the ending! (which honestly sometimes a bad ending ruins the whole series and after 6 books... I wouldn't have like that)

THE WORLD: Same setting as the previous books. It takes place in our world, mostly in New York and Alicante which is the capital of Idris, the city of Shadowhunters. So it is our world but it has several dimensions and there are magical creatures such as vampires, werewolves, fairies, and demons among us without humans noticing them because they use magic (glamors) to hide themselves. In this world there are also Shadowhunters who are half human half angel and their job is to protect humanity from demons.

FUN FACT: In Spanish the capital of Idris is called Alacante instead of Alicante because there is already a city called Alicante in Spain and I guess the translators thought it would be too confusing so they changed it lol

CHARACTERS: Also same as in the previous books: we have Clary, Jace, Simon, Alec, Isabelle, and Sebastian although a lot of other known characters appear. We are introduced to the new characters (from Cassandra's new Shadowhunters series) Emma and Julian who are barely 12 in this book and they're cutie pies.
I have to say I was a Clace shipper and I say was because even though I still like them I don't really care as much for them as I used to... instead Malec and Sizzy grew on me. OMG how I suffered through certain parts of the book because I didn't know if the ships would survive!

PLUS: The quick pace! I was so hooked and wanted to find out how it was going to end that I read it in 4-5 hours! (and it has a considerable length...)
I really liked the ending as well. It was well thought of and is mostly a happy ending for all, mostly is the key work here.

MINUS: Major minus was all those chapters/snippets of Maia... I mean sorry not sorry but I don't care about Maia, really. It was just boring for me to read so I just jumped to the other chapters. I liked reading about Emma and Julian though because they will be the main characters in the next series so it was a nice introduction to them.

OVERALL: 5 stars just because I liked the ending and the fast pace it had :D




HANNAHCASSIE's REVIEW

I read first five books with struggle and about two times I actually dropped the series so it was sorta a relief that it was a last book. Now the reality.




CHARACTERS:  I remember Clary and Jace from previous books, I never shipped them and this did not change now either. I just do not like Jace. Period. But Clary really grew on me, I hated her in book four for being all sissy but in this one...I would be really happy to know somebody like her in reality. She become really interesting and respectful character so yes I love Clary. Surely everybody knows my favorite is Magnus and I ship Malec so much. They just amazing. Plus Izzy and Simon, I realized I love Izzy too and as Laura mentioned, the couple just grew into something really breath taking!

PLUS: I think it was the perfect book to be the final book. The story was really well written and I also loved the last chapter of the book. It was just one of these ending where you are not sad it ended and just well makes you smile!

MINUS: Maia story was annoying. I have no interest in it too. Also I was not happy with how Clave handled things in the end. It just never got fixed. AND I just hate this Emma installment into this book. I know she is a center of next series but come on, really what Cassandra Clare did in this book concerning the out of the blue chapters about 12 years old kids...I just know now for sure that I will not read this new series about Emma. I really won't! Such a waste of priceless space in the book.

MINUS 2: Jocelyn Fray has now officially become my most hated character of TMI. Such a terrible mother and such a whinny woman. Absolutely useless. I hate her with all my heart and have zero respect for her.

OVERALL: I like that this was the final book in the series. I really love Clary now, tho I will always see her as Lily Collins. Well there are many part I really liked in this book but just to mention a few more would be the Clary's dream, it was very beautiful and the way it ended with Sebastian. So on that note, I give it 4/5 stars because I really thing it was the best book in the whole series!




 
What did you guys think about CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE?




7 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I think it was a great way to end the series! It wrapped things up quite nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't love the book because honestly, I was kind of getting bored of the world and its characters (I know, I know, I'm terrible). However, I was surprised at how well Clare concluded the series, and I was pretty happy with it. I didn't love it, but I definitely didn't hate it. Great review, guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I really do not think you are terrible because I absolutely agree, the series were rather boring at many points...And yes, again I agree that Clare really concluded it well!

      Delete
  3. I didn't like the final book as much as the previous ones, but it is still great! I think it was so sad to say goodbye to the characters even though we do know they are going to be making cameo appearances in the second book DD: And Cassandra Clare did a good job of setting things up for then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grad you felt that way, I was actually more smiling that it ended this way and that there will be no more. I really liked how it all ended without a hanger or something for us to have a 'must' read of her upcoming series!

      Delete
  4. Great review! I agree with both of you on Malec - how can anyone not ship them?! They're just the cutest! I hate Jace too. He is a very annoying character and don't empathise with him at all! :)

    ReplyDelete