13 June, 2015

REVIEW: BLOOD PACT by Tanya Huff

Title: Blood Pact
Author: Tanya Huff
Series: Vicki Nelson
Genres: Fantasy, Crime, Fiction
Publisher: DAW BOOKS
Source: eBook
Pages: 384

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: It began with the call no daughter ever wants to get, the call that told private investigator Vicki Nelson her mother had died. Mrs. Nelson's coworker at the Queen's University Life Science Department told Vicki that the cause of death was a heart attack, and that they'd be waiting for her to arrive in Kingston to make the funeral arrangements. But what started as an all too normal personal tragedy soon became the most terrifying case of Vicki's career. For when Marjory Nelson's body mysteriously disappeared from the funeral home, Vicki, her sometime lover and fellow investigator, vampire Henry Fitzroy, and her former homicide squad partner, Detective-Sergeant Mike Celluci, realized that there was something unnatural about her mother's demise. Vicki swore she'd find the culprit, and see that her mother was properly laid to rest. But what she hadn't counted on was that someone at Queen's University seemed determined to keep Mrs. Nelson on the job -- alive or dead!


I have started the series many years ago and somehow still have not come around to finish it. Therefore, as I am determined to cut down on my TBR this was the book I chose to read next. I do not remember really much of previous book, surely I know the characters and all but not exactly what happened before. However, each book in this series focuses on some crime Vicki has to solve so it was not really a problem that I did not remember what happened before.

I read this book really fast. It is just that easy to read. However, I was kinda annoyed by the way science and science geniuses were presented in it. Not everybody who has great ideas is Dr. Frankenstein.

THE WORLD: It is really a simple the world like ours, the action is based in USA. The only difference to our world is that paranormal creatures exist in the wold of Tanya Huff created, tho nobody really knows about them. Also, another difference is that because the book were published years ago it feels a little bit like reading about the past when it comes to technology and so.

CHARACTERS: The main character is the book is ex-cop Vicki Nelson who now is a private detective. In book one she met this handsome vampire Henry Fitzroy aka the bastard son of Henry VII, the Kind of England. Another male character in the book is Mike Celluci who was Vicki's partner and is still a policeman. To be honest, I never liked Vicki, she is just too blah for me. And I never liked Mike either. But I used to love Henry before. The reason I say before is because in this book I noticed that I am just not interested in his anymore. Therefore, I would say the characters in this book are not that great to me as I just do not relate to any of them. But at the same time, I cannot say that they make the story boring either.

LOVE: So we have a love triangle again. Henry loves Vicki, Mike loves Vicki and she cannot make up her mind. Frankly, I just do not see anything lovable about her so the fact that 400 years old vampire  and a smart policeman are fighting over her is just funny to me.

PLUS: This book and series in general are very easy read. The thing is you do not have to remember anything or go re-read previous book just so you could  continue with the series All you need to know is main character which really easy.

MINUS: Vicki. I just really do not like her so she makes it hard for me to read this series.

PLOT TWIST: I have to admit, I knew eventually it had to happen (nope not saying what) but when it happened I still was a little bit "okay...". But the twist was really how the love triangle turned out. That I did not see coming.

OVERALL: It is a book involving vampires but not really being a vampire book. I know sometimes it is called Blood Books but I really do not understand why. It is an easy read and I never get bored but I am never super excited about it either. It is a series of crimes, that is what this series are to me.



What do you guys think about reading books that are not really exciting?





4 comments:

  1. Woah, the book cover kinda looks horrifying. Nice review, btw.

    Hi, HannahCassie! I have nominated you to Beautiful Bloggers Award. :)
    You can check the rules out here ------ http://amiabooklover.blogspot.com/2015/06/beautiful-bloggers-award.html

    Looking forward to your post~!

    -Kristelle @ Amiabooklover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laura and HannahCassie!! My name is Lee and I run a blog called Lee The Reader!! I have nominated you for a Beautiful Blogger Award!! Check it out :D Thanks so much! http://leethereader.blogspot.com/2015/06/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete