02 May, 2015

REVIEW: ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES by Jennifer Niven

Title: All The Bright Places
Author: Jennifer Niven
Series: -
Genres: YA, Contemporary, Romance
add to goodreads

SYNOPSIS: The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park in this exhilarating and heart-wrenching love story about a girl who learns to live from a boy who intends to die.
Soon to be a major motion picture starring Elle Fanning!
 
Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

This is an intense, gripping novel perfect for fans of Jay Asher, Rainbow Rowell, John Green, Gayle Forman, and Jenny Downham from a talented new voice in YA, Jennifer Niven.


I discovered this books via booktubers as everyone, literally everyone was talking about it. I knew it was going to be sad but also good or at least the ratings were indicating it being good. So no surprise it was added to my April TBR as a last but not least book to read!


As it is already mentioned in the synopsis, this book really does remind me of the Fault in Our Stars. As a matter of fact, if not for a few differences it reminded me of John Green in general. Unfortunately, not in a good way. I felt like the tragedy in this book was rather created for gain attention of the readers rather than really it being necessary. But that is where the mistake for me really occurred, this tragedy was really a MINUS in the book. I know I know it is heart breaking but is it really? 

CHARACTERS: Personally, I could not like Finch that much, at some points I sorta felt a connection to him but most of other times I did not like him that much. I understand he had problems and that is rather stereotypical behavior, and please do not call me intolerant, but I just don't know. His characters was just oddly off for me. I mean, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon also was about the boy with serious problem but Christopher as opposite to Finch was very much likable and well just a cute character.

Violet, on the other hand, was the type of girl I would like to know in person. I did not as much as related to her but just could understand why she does the things she does. Her story really made sense and I absolutely liked the idea of her reaching for help when it came to something she could not handle herself. I loved that she was a strong character, she did not cry half the book over her own lose even it was really terrible thing and well...that really made her stand out for me. Tho, please do not think that if somebody does not cry over the tragedy I consider it being the only case of strong. It is nothing like that. I absolutely agree that crying is okay and actually good sometimes, I just do not like the characters who play victims and whine 99% of the book. Violet was suffering a lot, she was depressed over her lose but the author somehow managed to portrait her strong and still grieving at the same time. In general, Violet for me was a serious case of really good writing.

As for other characters, there really is nobody else. Some of Finch's and Violet's family members were taking part occasionally but nobody else besides the couple were really revealed in depth. However, I must admit, I liked Violet's parents. They seemed to me like a presentation of real life caring parents.

Now, I know I have poured rather a great amount of critique for this book but do not get me wrong. In general, I did enjoy this book very much, it was funny and heart breaking and it had a spirit in it. I just did not like it being rather slow read and the whole idea of writing a John Green type of story. I know his books are really talked about and he has this crazy story creating style but still...I think All the Bring Places should have been more of its own story rather than look alike of Fault in Our Stars. 





3 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah Cassie,

    So nice to meet you!

    Thanks for stopping by today and commenting on my review. I am now following you and look forward to reading more of your reviews!

    I host The Book Nook at Create With Joy - a community especially for Book Lovers. Please stop by and join us - you can share your reviews and connect with other book lovers, as well as learn about lots of cool events that are happening around the blogosphere!

    Have a wonderful week!

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I’m looking forward to reading this one. I’ve heard a lot of great things about it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete