26 April, 2015

REVIEW: BLOODLINES by Richelle Mead

Title: Bloodlines
Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Bloodlines #1
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal
add to goodreads

SYNOPSIS: I wasn't free of my past, not yet.

Sydney's blood is special. That's because she's an alchemist - one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. But the last encounter Sydney had with vampires got her in deep trouble with the other alchemists. And now with her allegiences in question, her future is on the line.

When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the unlikeliest of places: a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. The last thing Sydney wants is to be accused of sympathizing with vampires. And now she has to live with one.

The Moroi court believe Jill and Sydney will be safe at Amberwood Prep, but threats, distractions, and forbidden romance lurk both outside - and within - the school grounds. Now that they're in hiding, the drama is only just beginning.



Unfortunately, I have to start with confession. I grew up with the Vampire Academy, I absolutely love it but for some embarrassing and impossible to explain reason up till I picked Bloodlines recently I did not know it is a spin off! I just did not! How crazy is that? So you can imagine my excitement when I realized I not only get to be in my so loved Vampire Academy world but I get to read about Adrian Ivashkov. And I mean come on...it is Adrian Ivashkov!


I really did not know how much I missed Richelle Mead's writing up till I opened Bloodlines. Maybe it was also because the world was so familiar to me, I understood it like I myself was raised in it. Which, I guess is in a way true, I did grow up reading her Vampire Academy Series. 

What I found also very appealing was the fact that Sydney, who is the main character of Bloodlines, have played rather significant role in the Vampire Academy already. Therefore, she was nobody new. It was like meeting old friend rather than getting introduced to a complete stranger. So it definitely was a great plus for me. Moreover, in the Vampire Academy I felt like Adrian was done rather injustice. I know I know, there was really no way to end Vampire Academy without hurting him but still... I love how Richelle Mead decided it is important to do Adrian justice. It just makes me smile so much. 

But enough of the Vampire Academy, we are talking about Bloodlines here (tho, I do not think it is possible to really separate these two series). The story is about alchemist Sydney who has to protect the Queen's sister in hiding as well as make sure humans do not notice vampires and dhampires around them. Besides her pretending to be a high school student (or rather just being herself aka absolutely science geek and genius) and sister of the princess, she decides to rather secretly help out Adrian Ivashkov who came to the hiding due to his connection to the princess (brother like). Now, I cannot really comment much on the plot itself without giving away any spoilers so all I am going to say is that unfortunately for me, I did see the twist coming from about half book. However, I do not think it has anything to do with the writing. I think up till now I have read so many books with a twist that now I can sniff it miles away. So do not be alarmed, I doubt really many readers are going to be as unfortunate as I was. 

PLUS: It is known world. It is like Vampire Academy but different main characters. Really, how could this not be a huge plus?

MINUS: Again, only minus I can think of was my sad ability to sniff out the twist way before supposed to. But it is my own fault and not the book's.

CHARACTERS: Alright, so I have already mentioned the book focuses on Sydney. She is helping to hide Jill (Lissa's sister) together with Eddie and Adrian. Tho, Adrian was there more to get away from the Court and Rose-Dimitri drama. We also get introduced to some additional characters but they fit in really well and to be honest, they rather "leave" the book eventually. All in all, if you did not love Sydney in Vampire Academy already (like me) you will definitely fall in love with her in Bloodlines. She is just that kind of character! Plus, she is a complete science addict who gets high on knowing things so you know, nerd to nerd -  can completely relate.

OVERALL: First think I really want to say to all these readers who have not read Bloodlines, you need to read Vampire Academy first!!! It does not mean Vampire Academy is better or anything like that, it would be just so much easier for you to understand things. Bloodlines after all really is the follow up series of the Vampire Academy! BUT...in the end the only thing I can really keep screaming about is...I love Adrian and now I got a whole series about him! Woop woop woop!!!





0 comments:

Post a Comment