02 November, 2018

REVIEW: HOW THE WHITE TRASH ZOMBIE GOT HER GROOVE BACK by Diana Rowland

Title: How the White Trash Zombie got her Groove Back
Author: Diana Rowland
Series: White Trash Zombie 4
Genres: Zombies, Urban Fantasy
Publisher: DAW
Release: July 1st, 2014
Source: ebook
Pages: 328

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
READERS HUNGER FOR ANGEL CRAWFORD...

It’s zombie versus zombie as the Saberton Corporation declares war against the Zombie Mafia, kidnapping several of their party. It falls to Angel to lead the remnants of her gang halfway across the country to claw their way through corporate intrigue, zombie drugs, and undead trafficking to rescue her friends—and expose the traitor responsible for their abduction...

 

EXPECTATIONS: I'm not really expecting anything at this point. Angel is pretty interesting, but I made my peace that she's "white trash" by her own opinion of herself, and her past, so there's little of that about her. She's no less interesting, of course, but the covers become very misleading because of it. So all I expected is more of the same: zombie trouble and zoldiers.

THE WORLD: From somewhere in Louisiana and off to New York! But not as happily as I made it sound. Saberton, with all their nasty failures, has not given up on project Zoldiers. But seeing how they're lacking the brain power for it (I regret nothing), they kidnapped one of Angel's tribe, a scientist who was helping her zombie-baby Philip to become a healthier zombie. Without him and his treatments, they're both in a lot of trouble, so... Off to New Yooooorrrk! (if you did not hear the tune in your head, I am very disappointed

CHARACTERS: Angel, the Zombie Momma, as continuously referred to in this book, has seemingly lost all her trashiness. She got her school diploma, and is thinking about collage, her future. To a point where Marcus finally makes one decision for her too much, and she kindly tells him off. Philip, on the other hand, is getting right up there with his zombie parasite making him adorably insane. No, but really. During his episodes he becomes over-protective in the funniest sense possible. And Angel is smart enough, I'd go as far as say street-smart-enough to take no offence where none was meant, and is handling this whole ordeal pretty damn great. Others? Others have more secrets than I care to recall. Therefore I can't recall their names so well either.

ROMANCE:  Angel dumped her cop. So all the romance is among others, and there's not much of it to my utter relief.

GOOD: Angel smacked a... a nasty lady in the face, didn't so much as scrape her knuckles, AND didn't spill her beer! I was so impressed, I can't even begin to tell you. The lady, for the record, deserved it, and was intending far more pain towards Angel than the petite zombie has inflicted. Also plot itself was pretty good too, I really like how Angel adapts to situation on the spot, she really has a knack for it.

BAD: It's a bit too meh for me. I mean, I really do like these books, but I wish for something a little more, maybe a hint of actual horror, instead of "oh hell naw, yuck" scenes of jawless zombies. 

OVERALL: It's good enough to continue reading, and if you want something light, but interesting, not dull, then this is definitely good series for you. Mind you, no eating while reading it, there's so much talk about brain smoothies, that I feel bitter tang in my mouth every time I think of smoothies now. It's good enough. Just that.

What do you think about HOW THE WHITE TRASH ZOMBIE GOT HER GROOVE BACK?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment