15 September, 2018

REVIEW: THE NIGHT CIRCUS by Erin Morgenstern


Title: The Night Circus
Author:  Erin Morgenstern
Series: -
Genres: Fantasy, Fiction, Historical Fiction,
Publisher: Doubleday
Release: September 13th, 2011
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 387

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night. 

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands. 

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus performers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead. 

Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.


EXPECTATIONS: I had started to read this book once before, and I have to admit it, I gave up. I found it boring and just not captivating. But I recently watched a Youtuber, that loved this book and I gave it another try. I started to listen to the audiobook and I don't know what happened but I just couldn't get enough of this book!

THE WORLD: What I loved the most I think was the world building. The plot takes place in Victorian London, and everything is written in this way, that I was there, in the circus, watching everything! There are two dominating colors in the book - black and white. Every thing is black and white, the tents, the clothes and walls. But now and then, a character wears a red scarf, or changes into a green dress and you have this wake up vision and can clearly see how the character is different. Also the way the circus itself is described, the tents just the entire surrounding, I want to be in that circus! 

CHARACTERS: Oh boy! Ok let's try to make this as clear as I can! To my mind we have four main characters - Hector Bowen or Prospero the Enchanter, who is a magician of the circus. He is not a good person, he is cruel and strict and unkind. We have Celia Bowen - Prospero's daughter who comes to live with him at the age of seven if I'm not mistake, after her mother dies. She is gifted with magic and through out the book we get to see her develop her magic and grow up into a kind and strong young woman, who slowly grows out of her father's shadow and fights for what she loves. Then there is Marco Alisdair, a young man who is also gifted with magic. I am not sure how I felt about him. There were times when I wanted to punch him, other times I loved him. I think he was just so charming, and I couldn't figured out if he was himself like that or he used his magic. Marco has been brought up by - Mr. A.H., or the man in the grey suit. He is neutral rather, but unlike Prospero, he teaches Marco magic, with an open heart and kindness. 

I want to mention two other characters - The Circus itself and Tsukiko. The Circus to my mind, is the entire focus of the plot. Characters go through enormous lengths to keep the circus! I should maybe tell you, that the book is not just about magic shows in a circus no! The book is about a circus, where a magical competition takes place between two magicians. A competition that can only end when one of the competitors dies and here comes Tsukiko! She is a victor of the previous competition and I want a book about Tsukiko's competition!!! Please!!!!

ROMANCE: Main love plot is between Celia and Marco, but I would say, romance is not the main focus. Yes it drives the book, but you still end up thinking only about the circus!

GOOD: The concept, the character driven plot, the different writing style. When the book would go into the second person narrative, it would transport me into the circus.

BAD: I did find the book to be either too long or too slow. I at times thought that some scenes where unnecessary.

OVERALL: I would highly recommend to read this book. It takes time, but once you get into the mood you can't put it down!

What do you think about THE NIGHT CIRCUS?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment