26 May, 2017

REVIEW: ELUSION by Claudia Gabel


Title: Elusion
Author: Claudia Gabel
Series: Elusion #1
Genres: YA, Science fiction, dystopian
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release: 2014
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 382

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
Soon, Elusion® will change the world and life as we know it.

A new technology called Elusion is sweeping the country. An app, visor and wristband will virtually transport you to an exotic destination where adventure can be pursued without the complications—or consequences—of real life.

Regan is an Elusion insider. Or at least she used to be. Her father invented the program, and her best friend, Patrick, heir to the tech giant Orexis, is about to release it nationwide. But ever since her father’s unexpected death, Regan can’t bear to Escape, especially since waking up from the dream means crashing back to her grim reality.

Still, when there are rumors of trouble in Elusion—accusations that it’s addictive and dangerous— Regan is determined to defend it. But the critics of Elusion come from surprising sources, including Josh, the handsome skeptic with his own personal stakes. As Regan investigates the claims, she discovers a disturbing web of secrets. She will soon have to choose between love and loyalty…a decision that will affect the lives of millions.

Suspense, thrills, and romance fuel this near-future story about the seductive nature of a perfect virtual world, and how far one girl will go to uncover the truth behind the illusions.



EXPECTATIONS: I have no memory whatsoever how this book ended up on my TBR but I have a feeling it was back in the days when I was really into reading Dystopian and I kinda read pretty much anything of that style. So yeah...long gone is that obsession so won't be surprised if I am not too pumped about this book.

THE WORLD: First of all this book reminded me a lot of Ready Player One and Under The Never Sky. Why? Because it has this aspect of usual our day world but in the far future where the actual world is going downhill and instead new technologies created this virtual world where you can go on daily basis. I am really pumped about this idea and I hope it won't take long till this virtual world is an actual reality but yeah...tbh this book just like Ready Player One kinda gives a glimpse into the future because let's face it...our environment and world itself is going already downhill at steady pace and it's not really like the world is doing anything about it. Actually, some so called world leaders even denying it so yeah...virtual world here we come I guess?

CHARACTERS: The main character is called Regan and she is daughter of the inventor of this virtual world called Elusion. Her dad however died in the accident some time ago and ever since Regan has stopped going to Elusion, too many painful memories. Her best friend Patrick on the other hand is now a leader of Elusion given that he kinda helped Regan's father to create it. Patrick is also arrogant and a true new money victim. He liked power and money and tends to dismiss negative things such as the fact that Elusion is putting people in coma. But hey, without Elusion no money and no power so who cares about those few hundred that go into coma? So yeah, you might get the idea that Patrick is playing a villain here, tho it is not entirely true. But no spoilers! Anyways, I wasn't too impressed by any of the characters in this book. Regan was really just so so person, her inner struggles were human like but then she meets this other guy and all her intelligence somehow is overrun by hormones. Typical teenager I guess. And Patrick...there is a bit of back and forth with him as up till actually the end of the book you don't really know where he stands. He is said to be good but then things he does...I guess actions speak for themselves. So yeah...not very memorable or impressive. Also I felt like there was no real development, sure Regan solves her inner struggles but that is pretty much all. Maybe in next books of the series?

ROMANCE: As in any YA dystopian book there is a boy and a girl who come from different backgrounds and just have to fall in love. Really boring hundred times used trope that I won't even waste your time on discussing.

GOOD: As I said I am very excited about near future when we ourselves will have this virtual world available. After all it will reduce the distance greatly. So in general books that have this virtual world as center of the plot excite me an encourages me to dream.

BAD: The story itself was kinda over used and as I already mentioned there was no real development of the characters.

OVERALL: If you are a fan of YA Dystopian books I think it is a nice pick but if you are like me who has read many and is bored of all the tropes...than nope, not something I would encourage to pick up. I myself will not be continuing with the series either.

What do you think about ELUSION?