07 January, 2016

REVIEW: STAR CURSED by Jessica Spotswood

Title: Star Cursed
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Series: The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Witches
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Source: Physical copy
Pages: 384

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

PLOT SUMMARY: With the Brotherhood persecuting witches like never before, a divided Sisterhood desperately needs Cate to come into her Prophesied powers. And after Cate's friend Sachi is arrested for using magic, a war-thirsty Sister offers to help her find answers—if Cate is willing to endanger everyone she loves.

Cate doesn't want to be a weapon, and she doesn't want to involve her friends and Finn in the Sisterhood's schemes. But when Maura and Tess join the Sisterhood, Maura makes it clear that she'll do whatever it takes to lead the witches to victory. Even if it means sacrifices. Even if it means overthrowing Cate. Even if it means all-out war.

In the highly anticipated sequel to Born Wicked, the Cahill Witch Chronicles continue Cate, Maura and Tess's quest to find love, protect family, and explore their magic against all odds in an alternate history of New England.


 
If you remember a few months ago I read the first book in The Cahill Witch Chronicles called Burn Wicked and really liked it so it was no surprised really that one of the books I took with myself on Christmas holidays was Star Cursed.

 
Okay so firstly let me just say that I do not remember the last time book managed to piss me off so much. I mean alright it is true, the subject in this book is very touchy but the way it is written, the characters and everything around them...I have to say, Jessica Spotswood did a great job because she truly managed to get a high amount of emotions from her readers!

THE WORLD:  It story is based in New England in times when Witches were hunted and burned. The Brotherhood rules everything and states that women are wicked from birth and should seek guidance from men. Any who is suspected of being a witch of just wicked in general is locked in a madhouse, sent on the prison ship or killed. In this book Brotherhood goes even further and makes a law that women are forbidden to be taught even to read and word. Not everybody is happy, the New England is on the verge of standing up for the Brotherhood, only problem is that they hate witches just as much for them using mind magic on people years ago.

CHARACTERS: The story concentrated on three sisters: Cate, Maura and Tess. Before witches fell years ago there was a prosperity that there will be three sisters one day of which one will be the strongest witch ever and bring witches back to power. Therefore, Cate is thought to be that one witch. However, to know for sure she also need to be an oracle and so far she is not. None of the three sisters are. But as Cate is the oldest she was forced to join the Sisterhood which is really just a bunch of witches. And let me tell you, I feel with Cate. Sisterhood is just another place that uses Cate for their own advantage, they even threatened her loved ones if she said no. So Cate of course hates it and made me hate it as well. I actually love Cate, she is kind and good and just pure loving. I mean she is not whiny like most heroins who sacrifice everything are, Cate is strong and therefore she deserves my love. The next sister is Maura, and just as I love Cate I hate Maura. OMG! That girl is just so jealous of Cate, I mean they are sisters but I can guarantee that if somebody told Maura she could be popular if she killed Cate she would do it without a blind. I hate Maura and I so hope she is going to die miserable death realizing that everybody hates her! Especially what she does in the end of the book...it might be blood but Maura is an abomination. And then the third sister is Tess who is only 12 years old but wise nevertheless. I love Tess, she is so cute and smart and just a total bookworm! I would really love to have a sister like her!

Then there are a few other characters in the book such as Sister Inez, Alice and Finn. Now, sister Inez is pure evil. Like let's wipe everybody's minds who does not like us and control them completely evil. She is an evil manipulator, an actual villain of the series. Alice is another annoying character, she is of what you would call a New England bully who hopefully will die miserable lonely death and I will dance on her grave! And then there is Finn...oh boy oh boy I did not realize I love bookish men like him...he loves books, he always smells like books and has these cute things about him that just smile nerdy hot bookworm! I love Finn to the bits, he is perfection!

LOVE: This is one of the rare books which I wish had more of the romance. I mean Cate and Finn...oh my heard, oh the feels! So cute!

PLUS: I think this book is really teaching me patients and to keep my emotions in check. It is so brilliantly written that I love and hate it at the same time!

MINUS: Just like high emotions is a plus it is also a minus. At some points the hate gets so high that I just have to stop and take a deep breath to be able to keep going. I hope all Brotherhood and Sister Inez are going to die. And I hope Maura will be tortured and die a very painful death!


 


What did you think of STAR CURSED?