08 January, 2016

REVIEW: RACING IN THE RAIN by Garth Stein

Title: Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog
Author: Garth Stein
Series: -
Genres: Fiction
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source: Paperback
Pages: 304

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: Have you ever wondered what your dog is thinking?

Meet one funny dog—Enzo, the lovable mutt who tells this story. Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: most dogs love to chase cars, but Enzo longs to race them. He learns about racing and the world around him by watching TV and by listening to the words of his best friend, Denny, an up-and-coming race car driver, and his daughter, Zoë, his constant companion. Enzo finds that life is just like being on the racetrack—it isn't simply about going fast. And, applying the rules of racing to his world, Enzo takes on his family's challenges and emerges a hero. In the end, Enzo holds in his heart the dream that Denny will go on to be a racing champion with his daughter by his side. For theirs is an extraordinary friendship—one that reminds us all to celebrate the triumph of the human (and canine) spirit.

This is a special adaptation for young people of the acclaimed New York Times bestselling adult novel The Art of Racing in the Rain.

For those who followed the blog before or during summer you would probably remember that during the summer a girl from Colorado came to Spain to spend 2 weeks with my family. She gave me this book because it was her favorite book and I didn't know anything about it although the name was vaguely familiar.


THE WORLD: Our very own world. We are situated in Seattle, USA.

CHARACTERS: The main character is Enzo, who is actually a dog. Yes, the book's narrator is a dog my friends but a very clever one who has very human-like thoughts. Enzo's owner is Denny Swift, a race car driver, and the one who makes Enzo fall in love with car racing by taking Enzo to all his races, watching TV together, etc. The beginning feels like the beginning of Marley & Me because at first it's only the dog and his owner and then who comes around? the woman. From Enzo's POV we get introduced to Eve and later on, Zoë. As simple as it may sound, things get precarious and there are many sad moments throughout the book in which Enzo wants to help but he can't because... he is a dog.

LOVE: There is complex familiar love in the book as well as the love Enzo/Denny feel for each other (not in a romantic way of course but you know... pet and best pal)

PLUS: I enjoyed all the book and I actually liked reading through the point of view of Enzo even though I was reluctant at first because I thought that a dog would not narrate the story as well as it could've been with a human narrator but I was wrong. The author did a brilliant job with it and made Enzo a complex character as well.

The second half of the book was sad to read but was actually my favorite too because that's when the character growth can be seen.

MINUS: It's not a huge minus but well... I thought it was just too simple. This book is quite simple, middle grader I think and although English is not my first language I found it really easy to read. I must say that this version of the book is simplified, I guess the actual book is a bit more difficult and probably has more complex language. Just make sure you get the original book: The Art of Racing in the Rain.

OVERALL: 4.5 stars. Overall I really enjoyed it and I'm glad Megan (the girl from US) brought it for me. I would've loved it if I was a middle grader and it would've been a favorite too but unfortunately I read it too late... still worth it though.


 


What did you guys think about RACING IN THE RAIN?