01 November, 2015

REVIEW: BORN WICKED by Jessica Spotswood

Title: Born Wicked
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Series: The Cahill Witch Chronicles
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Witches
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Source: Physical copy
Pages: 338

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

PLOT SUMMARY: Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.


 
Okay so I had my eye on this series for some time now. I was not sure about it but when our bookshop announced 16% sale I could not just ignore the fact that I wanted to read this book. And no, ebook was not enough for me! I love witches and I want them all on my shelf!


 
THE WORLD:  Oh it is so different to what we are used to. So once upon a time New England was the place ruled by witches. But they abused their power and then normal people killed them. The Brotherhood came of power. What it means? It means that Brotherhood controls everything, that men are in power and much better than women. The job of women is to serve the husband and not have her own opinion. If you do not like it you are eliminated from the society. Men are better and you submit to them. It is funny to read about how Brother teaches women in the Sunday service that they should not enjoy the kiss because it is a sin, how they should not read books because it is not for their mind to understand. Every women is a wicked lustful creature but it is the way she was born and the Lord forgives her, therefore she must do everything what her husband says and not ever be of her own mind. When the girl is 17 she is married or goes to Sisterhood. If she has not found a husband by then the Brotherhood will find it for her. It is crazy I am telling you, so many times I was just crazy mad but I think that is what makes this book interesting, the world is too absurd not to get involved!

CHARACTERS: This book really is about three sisters who are also witches. The oldest Cate is of the center figure so far. She has made a promise to her mother to protect Maura and Tess, her younger sisters. You know this kind of sacrificing characters who do everything for others? Usually I hate them. But Cate is rather lovable. I really liked the way she grew as a character. Maura on the other hand, oh how she annoys me! Little brat! But Tess...the cute little pie! She is so absolutely adorable!
Then we have a missing father figure as always and a noisy neighbor. Additionally, the governess Elena comes to prepare the girls for the womanhood as their mother died a few years ago. I had a feeling about Elena from the beginning to be honest, somehow in this book I was always on Cate's side, it was easy to feel what she was feeling!

LOVE: Okay so in this book we have two men but nope, no love triangle! Paul comes back to marry Cate but does Cate want to marry him? Noooo! She has no real feeling towards him whatsoever! And good because Finn...oh how can you not love him? I am shipping oh so shipping him and Cate!

PLUS: This book really makes you feel a lot! But what I loved the most was how magic and witchery was presented. It was not what I expected but I liked it nevertheless. Plus, the bookshop chapters...mmmm.

MINUS: I think when I went into this book I sorta was looking for Manon from the Throne of Glass type of character. I did not find it. Also, in the beginning like most of the new series it was rather slow for me. But oh well, not every book is the same, right? So it really is juts tiny thing, I lowered my expectations a little bit and loved the book alright!