17 November, 2018

REVIEW: BEAUTY QUEENS by Libba Bray

Title: Beauty Queens
Author: Libba Bray
Series: -
Genres: YA, Humor
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release: May 24th, 2011
Source: Kindle Edition
Pages: 396

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB: The 50 contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras.

But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

What’s a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program - or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan - or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?

Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness.



EXPECTATIONS: I didn't really have expectations. This book was chosen as a group read on Goodreads last year and I didn't have time so I didn't participate that month but now I decided to give it a chance. I tried reading another book from the same author, The Diviners, and I ended up DNFing it because it was boring.

THE WORLD: Our same world. The book takes place on an island in the middle of nowhere where all 13 beauty contestants get stranded.

CHARACTERS: There are 13 teen beauty contestants and I can't be bothered to introduce them all. They're all from different places and overall the message of the book and the characters was about self-love and acceptance. Nice.

ROMANCE: Not really.

GOOD: For what I could see I liked how the girls even though they were "empty" beauty contestants proved everyone wrong. They all fight against stereotypes each girl in her own way. I thought it was a really nice message and it is all done through humor.

BAD: However, the rest of the book was meh... I couldn't identify myself with any of the characters even though there are so many and they're all different but I just couldn't find ONE girl who came even close to my mind/thoughts. Next, the writing... I already had problems with it while reading The Diviners, I don't know what it is but I just can't stand it! I get extremely bored. I'm sad. I wanted to like it but if it's not for me then it is what it is. Oh, and the last thing was the plot. I also couldn't find anything attention worthy on the plot itself. 

OVERALL: It wasn't my cup of tea. There's something about the writing style that I don't like and the plot didn't stand out to me in any way. I was easily bored so I had to DNF it. 



What do you think about BEAUTY QUEENS?


0 comments:

Post a Comment