12 November, 2018

MONDAY TRAVELS: SNOW by David Berman




Happy Monday friends! I hope you packed light and got some party clothes, cause this Monday we are one more embarking on a journey!

So today we are in America and we will explore:


SNOW



Let's get to know David Berman:
David Berman (born January 4, 1967) is an American poet, cartoonist, and singer-songwriter best known for his work with indie-rock band the Silver Jews. In early 2003, The Houston, Tx.-based theater group Infernal Bridegroom Productions staged a theatrical interpretation of Actual Air, which featured selected poems from Berman's book, as well as three live covers of Silver Jews songs. In 2010, David Berman spoke at the OpenCity Summer Writer's Conference. In his talk he discussed his difficulties with a book he had been attempting to write about his father. He also revealed that HBO had expressed interest in turning the book into a one-hour series. A screenwriter was hired, a pilot scripted. HBO wanted to begin production but Berman pulled the plug saying he did not want to glamorize his father. 


Poem:

Walking through a field with my little brother Seth

I pointed to a place where kids had made angels in the snow.
For some reason, I told him that a troop of angels
had been shot and dissolved when they hit the ground.

He asked who had shot them and I said a farmer.

Then we were on the roof of the lake.
The ice looked like a photograph of water.

Why he asked. Why did he shoot them.

I didn't know where I was going with this.

They were on his property, I said.

When it's snowing, the outdoors seem like a room.

Today I traded hellos with my neighbor.
Our voices hung close in the new acoustics.
A room with the walls blasted to shreds and falling.

We returned to our shoveling, working side by side in silence.


But why were they on his property, he asked.

Thoughts:

This is one of the modern poetry that I like. I don't know why it always comes up whenever I have to explain something to my niece or nephews.

I think I like to much is just that: it shows the thin line there is between fiction and reality. The way the older brother tells the fictional stories to his youngster, the sinister aspect of how dark you can go when you have to tell or explain something new to a mind that is still an empty canvas.

Simple, yet so deep. 

Stay Cozy and see you next Monday!




0 comments:

Post a Comment