20 October, 2018

REVIEW: SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES by Ray Bradbury


Title: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Author: Ray Bradbury
Series: Green Town #2
Genres: Horror, Fantasy, Fiction
Publisher: Gollancz
Release: August 7th, 2008
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 263

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
It's the week before Hallowe'en, and Cooger and Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show has come to Green Town, Illinois. The siren song of the calliope entices all with promises of youth regained and dreams fulfilled... as two boys trembling on the brink of manhood set out to explore the mysteries of the dark carnival's smoke, mazes and mirrors, they will also discover the true price of innermost wishes...


EXPECTATIONS: I have known about Ray Bradbury and his crazy Halloween books for about two years now. I heard one of his short stories being read on the radio and always thought how cool they were. I really wanted to read this book for some time now, but I always ended up putting it away once I started. So now I decided to go on and read it and I am so happy I did!

THE WORLD: The plot of the book starts on October 23rd, when two best friends see a lighting strike and suddenly everyone is overcome by a feeling that something is coming to town. That something is about to happen. I have to say I didn't catch the time period this book is set in, the book was published in 1962 so maybe the plot takes place at the same time or from the descriptions I say maybe eve 1950's. The plot takes place in a fictional town called Green Town.

CHARACTERS: We have two main characters, two best friends - Will and Jim. They are around 14 years old and are just regular teenage boys who love ridding their bikes and have a need to investigate what is happening. I have to say they reminded me of the kids from Stranger Things, they were dorky and adorable and just had each other's back at all times! 

We also have Will's dad Charles Holloway, who is the town's librarian and takes this part of the leader and teacher to show the boys how to defeat the evil. We also have Mr. Dark who is the main antagonist, this absolutely creepy man who owns the carnival. 


ROMANCE: None.

GOOD: The plot was extremely interesting, and I have to say I also got this feeling, this anxiety that something is coming or going to happen! 

BAD: I cannot think of anything, maybe I wanted a little more of the carnival, how it works, what is has and stuff.

OVERALL: I think this is a perfect read for Halloween! Go and read it now!

What do you think about SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment