31 July, 2018

REVIEW: THE DARKEST MINDS by Alexandra Bracken

Title: The Darkest Minds
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Series: The Darkest Minds #1
Genres: YA, Sci-Fi
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Release: December 18th, 2012
Source: Kindle Edition
Pages: 499

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB: When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something frightening enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that got her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that had killed most of America’s children, but she and the others emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they could not control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. She is on the run, desperate to find the only safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who have escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents. When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at having a life worth living.

EXPECTATIONS: Long time ago I wanted to read the trilogy really badly but time passed and the only reason why I picked it up was because Hannah read the whole trilogy and posted a review on her channel.

THE WORLD: Dystopian world. Based on USA where a mysterious illness appears affecting tweens (IAAN) and the ones who survive start developing super powers. Those survivors are taken into camps and classified according to colors to designate their superpowers: red (pyrokinesis), orange (mind controllers), yellow (electrokinesis), green (super intelligent), and blue (telekinesis).

Reds, oranges, and yellows were then taken out of camps and put into high security or killed because they were considered too dangerous. 

CHARACTERS: The main character is Ruby Elizabeth Daly, a 16 year old girl who accidentally deleted her parents memories and was taken into camp when she was only 10 years old. She is then smuggled out of the camp by an association called The Childrens League but she runs aways and meets a group of other runaways; Liam Stewart, Charles "Chubs" Meriwether, and Suzume "Zu". She gets integrated into the group and together they must escape all the adults who want to lock them again and find a safe location which they call East River camp, founded by the Slip Kid (the first to escape from a camp).

ROMANCE: There's some romance.

GOOD: At first the plot kept me intrigued but slowly I started losing interest... it didn't seem like much was going to happen apart from them running around in circles and trying to avoid all the adults. That was basically it. The ending pushed me to think about reading the second book though so I'll see.

I also liked the characters for the most part. I specially liked Liam's group dynamics, they were all very united and cared for each other.

BAD: I had the feeling I had already read the book a long time ago but forgot about it... it was like a constant dejavu but I think I have never read the book before you know? it was weird. It might be that being a dystopian one it shares a lot of characteristics with other books I have read. Either that or I really started reading it years ago and didn't like it so I forgot about it...

The slowness in the plot threw me off a bit. Sometimes it was painful to try to keep reading and waiting for something to happen that wasn't related to them running around or escaping from adults.

OVERALL: 3.5 stars. It was okay. I think I will read the second one but if I don't like it I might stop reading the trilogy. I will see. I do want to watch the movie though.


What do you think about THE DARKEST MINDS?


0 comments:

Post a Comment