11 January, 2018

REVIEW: THE PRINCESS SAVES HERSELF IN THIS ONE by Amanda Lovelace

Title: The Princess Saves Herself in this One
Author: Amanda Lovelace
Series: Women are some king of magic #1
Genres: Poetry, Feminism
Publisher: CreateSpace
Release: 2016
Source: Kindle Edition
Pages: 156

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB: "ah, life—
the thing
that happens
to us
while we’re off
somewhere else
blowing on
dandelions
& wishing
ourselves into
the pages of
our favorite
fairy tales."

a poetry collection divided into four different parts: the princess, the damsel, the queen, & you. the princess, the damsel, & the queen piece together the life of the author in three stages, while you serves as a note to the reader & all of humankind. explores life & all of its love, loss, grief, healing, empowerment, & inspirations.

EXPECTATIONS: I heard about this book from Tumblr (last year when I actually used Tumblr a lot) and people were hyping it up so even though I'm not much into poetry I decided to give it a chance. Hmm I didn't actually have super high expectations and I can see why people were fuzzing about it but it wasn't THAT life-changing (to me).

THE WORLD: I mean, this is a poetry book... but if I'm going to follow the standard review template... it is the author's world, what she went through in her childhood and her struggles and dreams. The book is divided in 4 parts: the princess, the damsel, the queen, and you. Each part is more or less a stage in her life such as childhood, adolescence, adulthood, etc.

CHARACTERS: The author (obviously xD)

ROMANCE: She mentions her partner in some poems.

GOOD: The poems and the fact that it was a light read. I'll write down a couple of poems for you to see more or less how it is.
NOTE: these are very general ones, there are deeper ones that some people might be able to relate to.
once upon
a time,
the princess
rose from the ashes
her dragon lovers
made of her
&
crowned
herself
the
mother-fucking
queen of
herself.

- how's that for a happily ever after?
please
believe me
when i say
revenge
was
never
my intention.

- but it still tastes sweeter than honey.

BAD: There wasn't much bad... just that most poems I couldn't relate but that's because the author had a pretty tough life it seems while mine was very happy and easy. Also, I am no expert in poetry and I don't pretend to be but I had to study language for 12 years and I can see the poem levels (regarding use of language) were very simple. I personally don't mind that, I actually prefer poems that are straight to the point because you don't have to think about them for 20 minutes just to try to guess what the author is trying to convey, but just be aware about the simplicity.

OVERALL: Simple and minimalist but gets the job done and delivers touching poems. I give it 3 stars and a half. I actually recommend it, it's a really short book and the poems are very straight forward.


What do you think about THE PRINCESS SAVES HERSELF IN THIS ONE?


0 comments:

Post a Comment