29 January, 2018

MONDAY TRAVELS: THE LEGEND OF KING ARTHUR



Happy Monday friends! Welcome to another edition of Monday Travels

So today we are in BRITAIN  and we will explore:

THE LEGEND OF KING ARTHUR

Legendary British King Arthur Pendragon
King Arthur is a legendary British leader who, according to medieval histories and romances, led the defense of Britain against Saxon invaders in the late 5th and early 6th centuries AD. The details of Arthur's story are mainly composed of folklore and literary invention, and his historical existence is debated and disputed by modern historians.
The sparse historical background of Arthur is gleaned from various sources, including the Annales Cambriae, the Historia Brittonum, and the writings of Gildas. Arthur's name also occurs in early poetic sources such as Y Gododdin. Arthur is a central figure in the legends making up the Matter of Britain.


Thoughts:

Medieval times is the best type of historical fiction to me! Kings, Queens, Knights, fights and the entire political agenda is amazing, throw in some magic and BAM, I'm hooked!

The story of King Arthur was always very interesting to me, since the time I saw the movie First Knight, with Richard Gere! Holy moly was I into that movie, I remember playing Guinevere with my blankets as my dresses being the bad ass female she was in the movie. And I have been hooked ever since! I have watched multiple adaptations, read books, articles, stories even fan fiction and of course watched numerous documentaries on the subject.
Imagine my reaction when Keira Knightley was cast to play Guinevere! I exploded!

In any case, I want to present you with certain sources you can check out to be a little bit more familiar with this story:

1. Watch the movies of course, they are all different but wonderful!
2. Read here about King Arthur and the possible historical figure of his. The time he most probably lived in.
3. Of course you can read Wikipedia page as well.
4. Or watch this documentary, which is amazing!

If you, however want a little bit more fictional portrayal of the events you can check out these books. I haven't read them all, but from what I have read about them they are legit my type of books!!!!




Let me know if you are also fascinated with the legend of King Arthur or what ids your favorite historical period to read!


See you Next Monday!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment