24 December, 2017

REVIEW: THE SEA THE SEA by Iris Murdoch


Title: The Sea The Sea
Author: Iris Murdoch
Series: -
Genres:
Publisher: Fiction, Classics
Release: July 1st, 1999
Source: Paperback
Pages: 538

// Goodreads //  BoodDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
When Charles Arrowby retires from his glittering career in the London theatre, he buys a remote house on the rocks by the sea. He hopes to escape from his tumultuous love affairs but unexpectedly bumps into his childhood sweetheart and sets his heart on destroying her marriage. His equilibrium is further disturbed when his friends all decide to come and keep him company and Charles finds his seaside idyll severely threatened by his obsessions.

EXPECTATIONS: I had to read this book in university so going into it I had no idea what this was about. I expected some longing book about a man and the ocean. Boy was I wrong! Now let me just say one thing. I gave this book 4 starts, however, I did not like it! I didn't like it to the point where I liked it, does that make sense? The book itself was good but the main characters....I dunno.

THE WORLD: The plot takes place in our world in the past, so pretty much everything is the same ad we know it, from like the time our parents or grandparents were young. There is a lot of discussion about theater and art world in general, so that was interesting, just to see how art world changed in a way, but in another way stayed the same.

CHARACTERS: There are numerous characters in the book. I have to say I liked them, the women were smart, emotionally stable and stood their ground! They were great examples of women who were hurt at one point in their lives and took that experience as an opportunity to grow. Such as Mary. She experiences young love, maybe the one love but she as a grown woman did not abandon her family for something that happened and I applaud her! 

The main character in this book is Charles. Now I hated him with every viper of my being! He was the most selfish, the most delusional person ever in the history of literature!!!! The amount of delusion in this man was just unbelievable! He spent the entire book painting himself as this victim left by everyone and hurt by the world but in fact the was the problem that made every one unhappy! I just hated him!

ROMANCE: Charles had numerous affairs with multiple women, but he and Mary did really share a deep romantic connection.

GOOD: Everything except Charles

BAD: Charles

OVERALL: I did like this book because it got all these emotions from me, but if you have difficulty going along with a book if you do not like the main character - do not read this book! However, it is very good!

What do you think about THE SEA THE SEA?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment