10 October, 2017

REVIEW: JURASSIC PARK by Michael Crichton


Title: Jurassic Park
Author: Michael Crichton
Series: Jurassic Park #1
Genres: Fiction, Science-fiction
Publisher: Ballantine books
Release: December, 1991
Source: Paperback
Pages: 399

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
A billionaire has created a technique to clone dinosaurs. From the DNA that his crack team of scientists extract, he is able to grow the dinosaurs in his laboratories and lock them away on an island behind electric fences, creating a sort of theme park. He asks a group of scientists from several different fields to come and view the park, but something goes terribly wrong when a worker on the island turns traitor and shuts down the power.

EXPECTATIONS: I think I saw the movie when I was young, I know that is the reason I got into dinosaurs, but in all honesty, I did not remember what the movie was about. So when I saw the book in the library I picked it up to read it from the original material!

THE WORLD: It's our world basically. The plot takes most part in Costa Rica and this fictional island Isla Nublar. It's basically what we know, how we live and how we act. The world is totally normal....apart from cloned dinosaurs!

CHARACTERS: Our main character in the book is Dr. Alan Grant, a paleontologist (no sadly, not Ross Geller). I liked him, he was very well written. You could really feel he was a professional in his field, he was kind and nice and brave. Reminded me a little of Pr. Langdon, but that's a whole other story. I also Dr.Ellie Sattler, who was Alan's friend, student, colleague. She was also written in a way that you just knew she knows what the hell she talks about! In the book we also had two kids, brother and sister, Tim and Alexis (Lex), who were alright, I didn't like Lex much, but at the end you really understood she was just a kid. I also had mix feeling about their grandfather John Hammond, who basically is so rich and bored he decided to clone dinosaurs and  create an amusement park out of it! I mean it's a million dollar idea ,but man you need to do your homework, and not put your grand kids in such danger. I have to say, I also had mixed feeling about Dr. Ian Malcom, who was a mathematician, but he wrote black sometimes leather clothes, had cool, sassy lines and jokes. He was just obnoxious a lot of the book, but in general he was alright. I mean the character was well written.

There are a number of other characters that play smaller parts and bits and basically are there to either provide explanation, to what is happening or set the tone.

ROMANCE: Honestly, there were basically no romance to my mind. You kind of didn't know if Aland and Ellie were a thing or not, but in the book it is revealed if they are dating or not. Besides this...I can't think of anything.

GOOD: I liked it! I liked the idea, I liked the dinosaurs, the different species of theirs and the way they acted. I liked the characters, they were developed, well written and a pleasure to read.

BAD: It did however, at times get a little slow and sometimes there were to many science talk, or too little, so you would need to go and Google, but besides that - nothing!

OVERALL: I loved it! I would recommend it to anyone who likes good fiction and dinosaurs and this thriller, mystery, running and chasing games.

What do you think about THE BOOK?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment