13 August, 2017

REVIEW: MY LOVE LIES BLEEDING by Alyxandra Harvey


Title: My Love Lies Bleeding
Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Series: Drake Chronicles #1
Genres: YA, Paranormal, Vampires
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
Release: 2010
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 248

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
The Drakes are rather different to your usual neighbors. They are vampires and some of the members of the family date back to the twelfth century. One of the children, Solange, is the only born female vampire known and, as such, she poses a direct threat to the vampire queen. Her best friend Lucy is human, and when Solange is kidnapped, Lucy and Solange's brother, Nicholas, set out to save her. Lucy soon discovers that she would like to be more than just friends with Nicholas. But how does one go about dating a vampire? Meanwhile, Solange finds an unlikely ally in Kieran, a vampire slayer on the hunt for his father's killer.



EXPECTATIONS: I had this book on my Goodreads TBR since 2010 and was not able to really find an audiobook till I realized it actually has an alternative title Hearts at Stake which of course has been out there as an audiobook all this time. So the moment I realized this I got my copy of the audiobook and dived in.

THE WORLD: To be completely honest with you the world reminded me a bit of Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy. We pretty much have this ordinary human world but under the beautiful first impression there are also vampires present in this world. And the vampires live in these groups ruled by the queen and all that. I told you it sounds a lot like Vampire Academy.

CHARACTERS: There are two main characters: Solange who is a female vampire and Lucy who is her best friend and also a human. Basically born vampires are actually born human and at certain age they transition into vampires so Solange is on this verge of transition. The only problem is that not everybody survives the transition. Additionally, being from royal family after her transition Solange is considered as future Queen of vampires and so she has many marriage proposals to deal with. Fortunately her family is very supportive and loving and do not force Solange to do anything, all they want is to protect her from the hitmen that are sent by the current queen. Tbh I actually like Solange, she is really sweet and again reminded me a lot of Lissa from Vampire academy and come on who does not love Lissa? Lucy on the other hand is not really a copy of Rose which is good cuz there is only one Rose in the world! Lucy is this human who goes beyond her weak strength, she does everything she can to protect Solange and is dead worried about her best friend might not getting through the transition. Frankly, the girls on their own were both okay but their friendship was amazing and for that I love them both. Solange also has a bunch of older brothers which at some points is really annoying but again, they all just try to protect her. I think in the end I really like the Drake family. 

ROMANCE: There is some romance for Lucy in the book but it is not the center of it. I mean I ship the couple don't get me wrong but it is really refreshing when in YA book it is not all about the forbidden love. 

GOOD: The friendship between Lucy and Solange was amazing. I love this book plainly because of it. I mean okay plot was also pretty interesting but without the friendship it would be just average. Tho tbh in general I love whole Drake family. It has been long since I read a book where I love so many characters. 

BAD: Cannot really think of anything bad. I mean year sure we have some tropes but they were not really that badly used in this book.

OVERALL: Now I really loved this book and without a hesitation giving it a four stars rating but I will not continue with the series. Why? Because this series does not follow same characters, next book is about totally different set of characters that yes are in contact with Drake family but we do not have more of Solange or Lucy as main ones. So due to that I will stop here and consider this book as a great standalone. 

What do you think about MY LOVE LIES BLEEDING?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment