18 June, 2017

REVIEW: TALON by Julie Kagawa


Title: Talon
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Talon #1
Genres: Fantasy, Paranormal, Dragons
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release: 2014
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 449

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
Long ago, dragons were hunted to near extinction by the Order of St. George, a legendary society of dragon slayers. Hiding in human form and growing their numbers in secret, the dragons of Talon have become strong and cunning, and they're positioned to take over the world with humans none the wiser.

Ember and Dante Hill are the only sister and brother known to dragonkind. Trained to infiltrate society, Ember wants to live the teen experience and enjoy a summer of freedom before taking her destined place in Talon. But destiny is a matter of perspective, and a rogue dragon will soon challenge everything Ember has been taught. As Ember struggles to accept her future, she and her brother are hunted by the Order of St. George.

Soldier Garret Xavier Sebastian has a mission to seek and destroy all dragons, and Talon's newest recruits in particular. But he cannot kill unless he is certain he has found his prey: and nothing is certain about Ember Hill. Faced with Ember's bravery, confidence and all-too-human desires, Garret begins to question everything that the Order has ingrained in him: and what he might be willing to give up to find the truth about dragons. 



EXPECTATIONS: At some point I have won in a giveway second book of this series so it really was a matter of time when I pick up the first book. 

THE WORLD: So let's start with a usual 'as we know it' and then add the fact that this world has dragons. Sounds cool right? I thought so too till I started reading it. You have no idea how disappointed I was when I realized this book has shape-shifting dragons. So basically you have dragons that almost all the time look like teenage kids and that in secret sometimes transform into a dragon. Booooooo! Why cannot we have actual dragons that does shift into humans?! So yeah, ultimately this book is just about teenagers who are learning to be well I guess teenagers and just live in human world. They also train to fight because hey what dragon world without dragon hunters. Yeah pretty much that's it. As I said, super disappointing! 

CHARACTERS: Our main characters are called Ember and Dante. They are the only brother and sisters dragons out there and so they are sent to human world to train how to be human. They are very boring teenagers, if you take the dragon part the story itself and characters are a huge bore! And then of course the hot six pack guy comes in who is actually a rogue dragon running away from dragon order and all tropes and all nonsense of any cheap teenager book. I really really hate these books where a girl is a pure fragile thing and then you need bad boy six pack to save her. Funny thing when I actually read this book I was kinda okayish with it but now that I think of it I a really mad :D I just did not like any of the characters I guess. 

ROMANCE: Forbidden love, fragile girl must be stupid to trust her elders so rebel hot bad boy six pack comes to save her. And oh no the brother still trusts the elders and becomes an enemy because how could he ever betray you and your new six pack boyfriend. How could he on earth not believe your six pack boyfriend you just met? Ah how horrible, he is not my brother anymore. 

Fine I am maybe a bit dramatic but this really just summarizes all book! 

GOOD: This whole book kinda takes place on the beach so if you are like me who doesn't get to go to beach much it's cool and you get kinda jealous. 

BAD: I want dragons! Where are my dragons stories?!

OVERALL: Book marketed as book about dragons but is really just another teenager book with horrible tropes. 

What do you think about TALON?