04 June, 2017

REVIEW: CARRIE by Stephen King



Title: Carrie
Author: Stephen King
Series: -
Genres: Horror, Fiction, Supernatural
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Release: 2007
Source: Paperback
Pages: 242


// Goodreads /
BLURB:
Carrie knew she should not use the terrifying power she possessed... But one night at her senior prom, Carrie was scorned and humiliated just one time too many, and in a fit of uncontrollable fury she turned her clandestine game into a weapon of horror and destruction...







EXPECTATIONS: If you are following my reviews, by now you should know that Stephen King is one of my favorite writers. I started reading his books from a very early age and this particular one was the first book I read by him. I think that’s the reason why it has such a sentimental value to me, but also another reason is that I identified with the character so much. I wasn’t the Prom Queen, or the Cheerleader captain, or even the president of any club in school. I was weird and had like 2 friends, and people were mean to me, and bullied me, and I was mean back at them. At one point in my school life, because of this mean girl squad I had literally no friends. Books were friends, Harry Potter was my friend and then I found another one….Carrie.

So, yeah in short, I love this book. It’s not a masterpiece, but it’s a masterpiece to me!

THE WORLD: The original was written in 1973, so the tone in the book kind of feels like that way as well. But actually I think it fits to any setting it’s placed. The plot is set in high school, when a girl called Carrie White gets her period for the first time, and instead of being nice and supportive, girls start to throw tampons at her. Carrie is raised by a single mother, who is…well let’s call her just plainly a religious fanatic, who raises her like in the medieval times or something.

But in general the book circles around school events and teenagers.

CHARACTERS: The main character in this book is Carrie White. As I said, she is raised by a single mother, who is a lunatic in my mind. I kind of don’t understand to this day if she loved her own daughter or hated her. Anyway, Carrie is a kind, confused, naïve girl, who basically is so unaware of the world around her that it’s sad. I blame her mother for that. Carrie just wants to fit in, she just want to have friends, and be a part of the group. But instead everyone is avoiding her, calling he freak or other names, simply because she has a lunatic and abusive mother. I should also mention, that Carrie slowly starts to realize she has telekinetic powers and can move objects with her mind, so we also spend time discovering and learning the power with her.

Other characters I liked were Rita Desjardin, the school teacher, who always supported Carrie and was nice to her, and made sure she wasn’t picked on. I liked Tommy Ross, the most popular boy in school, who, as a favor to his girlfriend takes Carrie to the prom. They actually do have a good time, and I felt this connection between Tommy and Carrie. It seemed that he truly wanted to make an effort for her to have a good time. I also kind of like Sue Snell, Tommy’s girlfriend because she was the type of character who thought logically. She realized how horrible everyone was treating Carrie and just did something about it. However, to some point I feel like she went too far to just prove a point she’s a nice person.

Margaret, her mother, I just hated her. I too am religious and believe in God, but that crazy woman embodied everything that is wrong with going too far with religion. She kept calling her daughter, Satan’s child, and blamed her for being born. She locked her up in a small room for punishment and was violent towards Carrie. I just really really hate her! Another character I have is Chris. She is the Queen B of the school, and constantly kept bullying Carrie. She came up with the plan to pour pig blood on Carrie during prom. I mean what person would do that? How damaged do you need to be in order to come on with something like that? Her stupid boyfriend wasn’t any better.


ROMANCE: I did kind of feel this spark between Tommy and Carrie.

GOOD: Everything. I like the issues this book addresses: the bullying, the religious fanatics. I like the supernatural aspect, it was interesting when the telekinetic stuff started and Carrie was slowly learning to move things, and her powers just grew. Also, I more than loved the ending!

BAD: It was a little slow at times I think.

OVERALL: Go and read this book everyone! Now!





What do you think about CARRIE?