24 April, 2017

MONDAY TRAVELS: LANCASTER AND YORK: The Wars Of The Roses by Alison Weird



Happy Monday friends! I hope you packed an umbrella and some paper to write down all the details!

So today we are in England and we will explore:

LANCASTER AND YORK
THE WARS OF THE ROSES




British writer Alison Weir:
Alison Weir (born 1951) is a British writer of history books for the general public, mostly in the form of biographies about British kings and queens.
Before becoming an author, Weir worked as a teacher of children with special needs. She received her formal training in history at teacher training college.
Her first published work, 1989's Britain's Royal Families, was a genealogical overview of the British royal family. She subsequently wrote biographies of Eleanor of Aquitaine, Isabella of France, Katherine Swynford, and the Princes in the Tower. Other focuses have included Henry VIII of England and his wives and children



Description:

The war between the houses of Lancaster and York for the throne of England was characterised by treachery, deceit and - at St Albans, Blore Hill and Towton, - some of the bloodiest and most dramatic battles on England's soil. Between 1455 and 1487 the royal coffers were bankrupted and the conflict resulted in the downfall of the houses of Lancaster and York and the emergence of the illustrious Tudor dynasty.

Alison Weir's lucid and gripping account focuses on the human side of history, on the people and personalities involved in the conflict. At the centre of the book stands Henry VI, the pious king whose mental instability led to political chaos, Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York and Henry's rival, and most important of all, Margaret of Anjou, Henry's wife who took up her arms in her husband's cause and battled for many years in a violent man's world

Thoughts:


I love history! I remember the first time we learned about The War of Roses in school, I was mesmerized!.  And back in the day we didn't have like easy access to internet, so I went to libraries, my mom brought books from the school she worked in, cause I was just so hooked! That time in history, the wars, the alliances the mind that I will follow this man who calls himself my King and die for him is just so fascinating to me because I can't possibly understand it today.

Or maybe it's just going as far as you can for the cause you believe in, because I would do that? Is that the same thing? I dunno, guys what do you think?

In any case, I have always loved this period in time. I love the music, the dresses, the headdresses, the books in it everything. I'm not saying I would like to live in those times, but let's not get into this because this post will be so long LOL

So I am currently finishing up the last book in the series by Phillipa Gregory, The While Princess, and I'm not sure I like it yet, so it would be interesting for me to read the story through a different authors eyes. The story in short is that once upon a time a king had so many kinds that they all wanted to sit on the throne and they all formed two houses eventually and fought each other until the very last drop of blood. I think this book maybe will be written more historically accurate, or at least I hope.

What period in history do you like? Do you think this book would interest you? Let me know!


See you next Monday!