27 May, 2016

REVIEW: TALES FROM THE SHADOWHUNTER ACADEMY by Cassandra Clare

Title: Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments Novellas
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Source: ebook
Pages: 671


// Add to GoodReads //

BLURB:
The New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling collection of short stories chronicling the adventures of Simon Lewis as he trains to become a Shadowhunter is now available in print for the first time with ten brand-new comic illustrations!

Simon Lewis has been a human and a vampire, and now he is becoming a Shadowhunter. The events of City of Heavenly Fire left him stripped of his memories, and Simon isn’t sure who he is anymore. So when the Shadowhunter Academy reopens, Simon throws himself into this new world of demon-hunting, determined to find himself again. Whomever this new Simon might be.

But the Academy is a Shadowhunter institution, which means it has some problems. Like the fact that non-Shadowhunter students have to live in the basement. At least Simon’s trained in weaponry—even if it’s only from hours of playing D&D.

Join Simon on his journey to become a Shadowhunter, and learn about the Academy’s illustrious history along the way, through guest lecturers such as Jace Herondale, Tessa Gray, and Magnus Bane. Written by Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, Maureen Johnson, and Robin Wasserman, these moving and hilarious short stories are perfect for the fan who just can’t get enough of the Shadowhunters.

 
So I was told I need to read Shadowhunter Academy Tales before I get into Lady Midnight. And yeah, so I did.


 
THE WORLD: Just our usual shadowhunters world where shadowhunters are gods and everybody else below them. I am really so so tired of this racism, when is going to get fixed?! I have read The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices and now Shadowhunters Academy and yet it is not changed from the first book I touched of Cassandra Clare.

Anyways, so the book focuses pretty much of the Shadowhunters Academy next to Idris that is now reopened after war and preparing the new shadowhunters. Funny thing, half of the future shadowhunters are human. Sound impressive right? Well actually the only reason shadowhunters training humans now is because their own numbers were massively decreased after two wars so now they really have no chance anymore. Train humans or get extinct. Yeah, so much for equality.

CHARACTERS: The Tales from Shadowhunter Academy are really just a bunch or short novellas put together. The only thing that unites them is that it is ultimatedly about Simon training to be a Shadowhunter and therefore getting his memories back. If I knows...let's just say that I used to like Simon more or less, him and Izzy really grew on me in last book of TMI but boom it got all ruined in these novellas. I absolutely hate Simon now, so annoying and just ew. And also, who is on the cover of this book? Do not tell me it is Simon because...I don't even have words.

Anyways because this book is made of ten short novellas I am going to touch each one of them in short rather than doing a usual review. So yeah, prepare yourself!


Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy
In this book Simon is leaving to the Shadowhunter Academy. Somehow he is super glad to leave Izzy, Clary and Jace behind because hey he hates who he was and needs everybody to stay away to find his true self. Yeah all that senescence. And also, you would think Shadowhunter Academy was something great right. Well it is not. It is a dump. A place without even a normal toilet. Cassandra Clare really went overboard with this. Like seriously. 3/5 stars

The Lost Herondale
Here we get to travel in the past and hear how Clave killed pregnant shadowhunter's wife because in the battle he was given visions which caused him to run away. Does not matter that the poor shadowhunter had no control over it. Butcher the pregnant wife. Yeah, Clave is the best. 3/5 stars

The Whitechapel Fiend
Retelling of Jack the Ripper. How basically Will and Tessa's family killed the demon which was slaying women of London. Interesting perspective and you also get to read of Will and Tessa's life so that was not so bad. 3/5 stars

Nothing but Shadows
Story of basically the children of Will and Tessa and others from TID. My absolutely favorite, I felt in love with James and Mathew from page one and oh my how much I want to read The Last Hour, new shadowhunter series that will tell the story of generation after Will and Tessa. So so excited, the story was just super cute! 4/5 stars

The Evil We Love
We go back in time to learn more about Valentine and his Circle. Most boring novella ever. I really dislike Valentine, he is just so so boring! I mean okay Sebastian story in general of TMI is my favorite in comparison to first three books but still...as I said, most boring novella ever. I had to just skip pages or face death by boredom. 1/5 stars

Pale Kings and Princes
Again a beauty of Clave. Actually it is a very very sad story and the one you must read before reading Lady Midnight. I was really angry it never got solved. So much racism, just so much racism. 3/5 stars

Bitter of Tongue
I am sorry I have no memory of this one. I really don't. I even tried to read a summary of it but still no memories. I guess that says a lot in a way too. 3/5 stars

The Fiery Trial
This one was really creepy and I did not get the point of it. Like seriously. So Emma and Julian get to be parabatai but it is portrayed like they don't want to. And then we have Clary and Simon through this weird test. Super weird and useless. Hated it to bits.  1/5 stars

Born to Endless Night
Okay this story shocked me the most and made me really doubt if I want to ever read anything of Cassandra Clare again. Basically it is about Alec and Magnus and hello you know how much I adore Malec but yeah...it got ruined because of the freaking baby! I mean seriously, Alec is what 18? And suddenly he has all these fatherly instincts and wants a baby? Are you kidding me???!!!! 0/5 stars

Angels Twice Descending
So Simon is finally finishing the Academy and they all have to drink from the Mortal Cup to get strength and blah blah but of course of them gets killed. So typical. Random killing off. I mean seriously?! Useless. 3/5 stars

So yeah I think you get the idea. I did not like these novellas at all. I mean I know many people loved them but I just do not see it. It was so far the worst work of Cassandra Clare I have read. Hopefully Lady Midnight will be better or I swear I am never picking anything of CC again. It is just too much for my nerves.


 


What did you think of TALES FROM THE SHADOWHUNTER ACADEMY?