05 November, 2015

REVIEW: THE RETRIBUTION OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Retribution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer #3
Genres: Fantasy, YA, Paranormal
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source: Kindle Edition
Pages: 453

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: It had to end sometime, but Mara had no idea it would end like this.

Mara Dyer wants to believe there's more to the lies she’s been told.
There is.

She doesn’t stop to think about where her quest for the truth might lead.
She should.

She never had to imagine how far she would go for vengeance.
She will now.

Loyalties are betrayed, guilt and innocence tangle, and fate and chance collide in this shocking conclusion to Mara Dyer’s story.
Retribution has arrived.



After reading the previous books, The Unbecoming and The Evolution, I was very scared of reading the conclusion. What if I didn't like the ending? What if Michelle decided to do "the thing" I was most afraid of? All those what ifs... and in the end the book was great!

Sorry for the delay in writing this review... at first I needed a few days alone with my thoughts but then I forgot about it, sorry! Oh, I need a new brain.


THE WORLD: Same as in the previous books. Just our normal world but with people with special abilities nobody knows where they came from... why did certain people have those abilities? And the answer can be found in this last book ;)

THE CHARACTERS: The characters are also the same as in the previous books because The Retribution picks up after the end of The Evolution although Mara, Jamie, Stella (Mara and Jamie's not exactly friend at the beginning but friends at the end) and Mara's brother, Daniel, play the major roles. Dr. Kells is not there anymore, Jude is always like a shadow but an important one, Noah... oh Noah! not enough Noah although there is a powerful reason why AND NOAH'S FATHER OMG WHAT? I swear Noah's father is barely mentioned in the whole series and suddenly he appears like:


PLUS: Okay, okay so the major plus for me was how the whole "why do some people have abilities?" was resolved. I liked the idea although it's complete science fiction.
I loved how Mara is not the heroine nor the villain, she's an in between... sometimes a hero with villain tendencies and sometimes a villain with tending to hero... depending on who she was with and the situation.
I enjoyed the addition of Jamie and Stella's powers as well as their characters. They added the fun in this mess of a story.
I could finally make sense of Mara's grandmother's story. She was deeply involved in the story as I suspected but there were some revelations that just omg.
I died in the last 20% of the book or so! How? Why? But WHAT? That end. Seriously. Noah and Mara's selfish choice was everything. They're not heroes, they're not here to save the world so their choice was the perfect one. Probably the one 99% of the people would have made.
PLOT TWISTS!

MINUS: There are some minuses as well but they take out any points to be honest. At least for me. The minuses were, for example, there is not enough Madness! But that's not the big minus, the big minus is that there are still questions not answered and that bothers me! I have a pretty good imagination so I can easily make up a story about them but still... a closed ending would've been more rewarding.

OVERALL: 4.5-5 stars. The previous books had 4 or stars because of all the unresolved questions. I was waiting to read the last book to see if the series as a whole made sense and yes! Great series to read, creepier than the other books, with all the paranormal stuff going on... but infinitely interesting. Don't get too comfortable though because not all questions are answered and many things you have to theorize about or think about a possible (and reasonable) explanation.




What did you think about THE RETRIBUTION OF MARA DYER?