26 November, 2015

REVIEW: CRESS by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cress
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #3
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Science Fiction
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Source: Physical copy / Kindle Edition
Pages: 550

Add to Goodreads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.
HANNAHCASSIE'S REVIEW
I have to admit, after reading Scarlet I was worried to read Cress. I have heard really good things about it but so did about Scarlet and that was huge disappointment. So I really went into Cress without high expectations.


THE WORLD: The world in his book is similar to ours except it is set after the World War IV. Plus, the moon is a inhabited by Lunars who have these manipulative abilities to glamour and control people from Earth. Oh and on earth they have advanced technology which allows the creation of cyborgs - half human/lunar half machine. Pretty cool if you asked me.

CHARACTERS: The main team that this series follows is made of Cinder, Scarlet, Wolf, Iko, Thorne and now Cress. What is their purpose? To destroy Queen Levana! Okay, so Cinder in this book is finally a grown up. Sure she struggles but no more whiny moments like in Scarlet. Cinder is determined and that makes me want to read more! Scarlet, on the other hand is still number one I dislike, even tho she wasn't really present in this book. Wolf sadly turned out also all annoying depressed emo. Disappointment! But you know what? I agree, even tho I did not like Thorne in Scarlet I am definitely a fan of him now. I do not love him but it is fun to read his chapters. But my absolute favorite is Cress, she is just so incredibly cute! Every time I read about her I cannot stop smiling, imagine super short girl all fluffy...and it turns out she is a programming genius! Awesome! What it leaves? Oh yes Iko. Alright so I know many of you like her but really, where Cress is super cute being all girly Iko is just annoying. She is almost as annoying as Scarlet, key word almost.

LOVE: So there are a few love romances going on. One is Cinder and Kai but we only get a little bit of them in last pages of the book. Then Scarlet and Wolf are barely present. And what is leaves us with? Yes, Thorne and Cress...oh my they fit perfectly together! Tho I have to admit, I am not really shipping any of the couples. There is just something weird about this series, I love the idea but characters are far from perfect. Like you in Sarah J. Maas's books you get your ship and then it drowns and you get onto different ship and you are all invested and here it is just meh...it is fun but the moment you finish the book you are not thinking about it anymore.

PLUS: It was much much more interesting than Scarlet. No more staling, the things are finally getting into action! I cannot wait to get into the Fairest and then Winter!

MINUS: Most of the plot twists were clear from almost the first pages of the book.

EXTRA: We get introduced to Winter who is going to be the main character of the fourth book called Winter I guess. Well so far I do not like her. I really really hope it will change!





LAURA'S REVIEW
I loved Cinder but I was disappointed with Scarlet as well. It just lacked plot and the romance was weak. However, I read Hannah's review (among others) and it seem to hint that Cress was going to be so much better! And it was better.


THE WORLD: We are in the same world as in Cinder and Scarlet where Earth suffered after WWIV and now the countries are divided different. Besides, humans discovered that there were inhabitants in the moon called Lunars (I am guessing it comes either from the Spanish luna meaning "moon" or Latin). These Lunars have powers and can control/manipulate humans easily as well as other Lunars if they're strong enough. They are ruled by an evil queen.

CHARACTERS: We have almost the whole team! Cinder, Scarlet, Wolf, Captain Thorne, Iko and Cress. They have all reunited and have almost everything figure out, they know queen Levana's intentions and they just need to stop the wedding with Emperor Kai or the planet will be doomed.
Let's see... Scarlet and Wolf are barely present in this book. They're not featured at all which is something I am okay with. Cinder is the main character here and the one really pushing the whole book since she's also the one who has to take over Levana so it's a big weight in her shoulders! and she was definitely up for the challenge. I liked how determined she was. Then we have Thorne and Cress who also have a lot of time in the book. I don't know what to think of them... there was definitely something weird in how their relationship was approach. I cannot pin-point it but it wasn't as cute as Cinder/Kai where in the first book... and Cress is super innocent! although she's supposed to be a teenager it looks like she's 10 but it's in a good way, I mean I didn't find it annoying or anything.

LOVE: Everyone has a love interest! (except Iko, poor Iko) Cinder has Kai and it's mutual. Scarlet has Wolf and it's mutual. And finally we have Cress and Thorne who are still figuring things out but will be endgame I say.

PLUS: It was fast-paced and filled with all action/plans to stop Levana! It was much more interesting than Scarlet. Things are getting to the end and I'm loving it! Now I just need to read Winter.

MINUS: I'm not really sure... I think that the minus was that there was no 'wow whoa wait' moment. It is fast-paced and action-packed but there were no new elements added to the plot or plot-twists so yeah that's why it's not 5 stars.

OVERALL: 4 stars. Much better than the second book and now I cannot wait to read Winter!


What do you guys think about CRESS?