14 April, 2015

REVIEW: DELIRIUM by Lauren Oliver


Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Series: Delirium
Genres: YA, Science Fiction, Fantasy
add to goodreads

PLOT SUMMARY: "Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't." The story is concentrated on the girl names Lena who is about to be cured. However, things do not go as she expects. One day she meets a guy and suddenly secrets starts to unravel faster than she can grasp.



I reached Delirium series via Lauren Oliven new book "Vanishing Girls". I have seen the beautiful cover of the Delirium before and have heard at some point of its name but up till a week ago it was not even near my TBR. Tho, then somebody was reading it on GoodReads, I remembered of hearing of it before and suddenly it was on my TBR. But it was not till I went to the library and this book was just looking at me asking to be taken that I decided it is time. Time for Delirium.


" That's the thing about pain. It demands to be felt." - John Green

Now I have to admit that Delirium was rather dragging for many at many points. I really did not like the main character Lena, she seemed winy and weak and just always so unbelievably scared. I somehow managed to develop a connection to the secondary character Hana rather than to Lena over the book. I also do not find the male character appealing at all. He was too far, like I would not really grasp who he was and why he did what he did. At some point of the book where all the kissing started and just well it was basically 20 pages how the main character was kissing or wanted to kiss her love interest. For me it was almost a jump through the pages moment. It was staling and it was staling big time. I was very disappointed in the book up till the secrets started come out. I have to admit, at that point my regrets of starting this book vanished. I really liked the storyline, the dystopia...it was definitely something new! And I have to admit, in secret I rather enjoyed how so called cured people were portrayed. Somehow John Green's quote just kept popping into my head, I cannot really explain why but it in a way summarizes the book for me.
So all in all, do I regret reading it? No, definitely not. Will I read the next one? Yes, maybe not soon but I think I will. The story just must get better in next one, it just must!



0 comments:

Post a Comment