29 October, 2018

MONDAY TRAVELS: SCARY EDITION: OMENS by Cecilia Llompart II Day 8




Happy Monday friends! I hope you packed light and got some party clothes, cause this Monday we are one more embarking on a journey!

So today we are in Puerto Rico and we will explore:

OMENS

Let's get to know Cecilia Llompart:
Cecilia Llompart was born in Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico. She received her BA from Florida State University and her MFA from the University of Virginia. She doesn't consider any one place home, preferring to think of herself as a traveling poet that belongs to the world.
Cecilia is the author of The Wingless (Carnegie Mellon University Press, 2014). She currently teaches freelance creative writing workshops and divides her time between the United States and France.



Poem:

The dead bird, color of a bruise,
and smaller than an eye
swollen shut,
is king among omens.

Who can blame the ants for feasting?

Let him cast the first crumb.

~
We once tended the oracles.
Now we rely on a photograph

a fingerprint
a hand we never saw

coming.

~
A man draws a chalk outline
first in his mind

around nothing

then around the body
of another man.

He does this without thinking.

~
What can I do about the white room I left
behind? What can I do about the great stones

I walk among now? What can I do

but sing.

Even a small cut can sing all day.

~
There are entire nights
I would take back.

Nostalgia is a thin moon,
disappearing

into a sky like cold,
unfeeling iron.

~
I dreamed

you were a drowned man, crown
of phosphorescent, seaweed in your hair,
water in your shoes. I woke up desperate

for air.

~
In another dream, I was a field

and you combed through me
searching for something

you only thought you had lost.

~
What have we left at the altar of sorrow?
What blessed thing will we leave tomorrow?




Stay Cozy and see you next Monday!

HAPPY
HALLOWEEN


0 comments:

Post a Comment