15 November, 2015

REVIEW: THE GROWNUP by Gillian Flynn

Title: The Grownup
Author: Gillian Flynn
Series: -
Genres: Fiction, Thriller, Short Stories
Publisher: Orion
Source: ARC
Pages: 64


Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: A canny young woman is struggling to survive by perpetrating various levels of mostly harmless fraud. On a rainy April morning, she is reading auras at Spiritual Palms when Susan Burke walks in. A keen observer of human behavior, our unnamed narrator immediately diagnoses beautiful, rich Susan as an unhappy woman eager to give her lovely life a drama injection. However, when the "psychic" visits the eerie Victorian home that has been the source of Susan's terror and grief, she realizes she may not have to pretend to believe in ghosts anymore. Miles, Susan's teenage stepson, doesn't help matters with his disturbing manner and grisly imagination. The three are soon locked in a chilling battle to discover where the evil truly lurks and what, if anything, can be done to escape it.


I have very much loved the Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn so when I saw another of her books listed for review I requested it without hesitation. In other words, I went into this book without a single idea what it is about.


Firstly this book is super short. When I got it I was like wow wait whaaat? I went on goodreads and actually checked the length of the book and if I really have it all. Turns out I do, the book or well the story is only 64 pages long.


Okay so in order not to spoil you guys I will write this review a little bit different. No separate categories as that would be literary spoiler rain! Let's see. Well I have to admit, when I started the story I had one idea and about half way through it changes completely. It is like you know what you are reading about and then bam it takes completely different direction and you are in a completely different story. But you know what? It was absolutely awesome, I wish I actually picked this ARC up during Halloween...it is like you get your typical American low class character and then it becomes a scary story and then pow pow it is a thriller! And the ending, oh I love it to the bits! I finished it and was like 'what have I just read?' but in a really good way! I gave yesterday this book 4 stars on goodreads but I think I will change it to 5 because I slept on it and I am still fascinated. It was truly awesome writing and the whole manipulation of the reader. But what I love most is that this story leaves you gaping in the end and asking yourself 'what happened?'. It is like one of these psychological thriller movies where the sociopath gets kills but in the end in the middle of nowhere you see the same sociopath starting again...oh I love this type of fear! 

So all in all, I cannot say much simply because of spoilers but I can tell you one thing, this story was absolutely awesome!



What do you guys think about THE GROWNUP?